[CentOS] Kernel panic after removing SW RAID1 partitions, setting up ZFS.

Thu Apr 11 21:21:01 UTC 2019
Jyrki Tikka <jyrki.tikka at iki.fi>

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 08:38:04 -0700, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote

>I drove to the site, picked up the machine, and last night found that the
>problem wasn't anything to do with mdadm, but rather setting a partition to
>GPT. For some reason, you *cannot* have a partition of type GPT and expect
>Linux to boot. (WT F/H?!?)

If you want to boot a BIOS based machine with a GPT boot disk you need to have
a BIOS boot partition. Otherwise GRUB will have no place to write
the necessary bootloader code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_boot_partition

I found this out a few years ago when I replaced the 2 TiB MBR boot drives
on my Fedora System with 3 TiB GPT disks (mdraid 1)

<(*) Jyrki