[CentOS] Are linux distros redundant?

Wed Apr 24 17:18:09 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:
>> Andrew Holway wrote:
>>
>>> I just realised that I haven't touched a centos/redhat machine in
>>> more than a couple of years. Everything I do now is Kubernetes based
>>> or using cloud services (or k8s cloud services).
>>>
>>> What about it listeroons? Is your fleet of centos boxes ever
>>> expanding or are you just taking care of a single java 6 jboss
>>> application that takes care of the companies widget stocks?
>>>
>>> How are your jobs changing?
>>
>> Nope. Well... actually, my manager's talking about Ubuntu or maybe even
>>  FreeBSD. He's *extremely* upset with RH being so slow - 8 should have
>> been out for some time, for one, and a lot of 7, even with SCL, is far
>> behind, and our researchers want newer software.
>
> Maybe you should try to explain to your manager why RHEL/CentOS exist and
>  why it's widely used in the corporate world. If he talks about Ubuntu
> then you could explain to him what Fedora is any why and how it differs
> from RHEL/CentOS.
>
> Of course, managers do not always listen to those who do the real work.

Bad assumption, in this case. My manager is also a sr. sysadmin. He pushed
CentOS a long time ago - we were running 5 when I got here, almost 10
years ago. But the folks we support keep wanting to run software that uses
much newer PHP, and Python, and stuff from newer kernels.

For example, allegedly (don't know for sure), some version of Ubuntu
supports CUDA out of the box, as opposed to the mess I have to go through
getting it and updating it from NVidia.

     mark