[CentOS] Are linux distros redundant?

Wed Apr 24 19:33:00 UTC 2019
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Kubernetes isn't really a general-purpose UNIX operating system and so
> the question seems like it's comparing apples with oranges, at least,
> unless you're doing a very narrow and specific thing with certain
> automation and scalability requirements.
>
> I don't think the fundamental raison d'être for a UNIX workstation or
> server operating environment has changed in four decades, even if there
> are also specialized grids for scalable application or HPC operations.

I have a "UNIX workstation" on my workbench. It is a Raspberry Pi (an older
Model 2B). It is (at this time) my main circuit board CAD box. Also my main
build box for: ARM (embeded) Linux (Raspberry Pi and Beagle Boards) and things
like ESP32, ARM, and AVR microcontrollers (eg Arduino IDE). And I access it
remotely with my laptop, running CentOS.