[CentOS] Was: Re: Are linux distros redundant?, is zfs

Wed Apr 24 20:18:46 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Benjamin Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:25:00 AM PDT Andrew Holway wrote:
>
>>> Btw, right now, we've just built a new server as Ubuntu, because my
>>> manager wants to use it to test zfs, including its ability to a) act
>>> as a RAID, directly, without an underlying RAID, and b) encrypt the
>>> whole thing natively.
>>
>> ZFS on linux was originally an EL project. Ubuntu support came later.
>>
> I've been running ZoL on CentOS for years. Wonderful stuff. SysAdmin's
> dream, although we keep all ZoL boxes off any public access and update on
> a carefully tested schedule to ensure that no RPM version weirdness
> happens.

Ok, how's it scale on large filesystems? My manager was running some tests
this morning, 37TB f/s, and he said it seemed slow to respond. Also, dedup
seemed to take actual time - minutes. I saw him as he copied a 1G test
file to two or three other names, and it took time to go up, then level
off in size, with "size" being what we saw with df.

      mark