[CentOS] help install

Sun Apr 28 18:51:24 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 14:37, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

> On 04/28/2019 12:53 AM, Doug wrote:
> >
> > On 04/27/2019 09:21 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> >> Try booting one of the "live images" and see if it will work that
> >> way.   A gui should just show up by magic when it finishes booting.
> >>
> >> You can install Centos directly from the live image if it works.
> >>
> > I downloaded Centos-7.0-1406x86_64.kdelive.iso, and started it on the
> > machine that I described, which has the 250GB SSD on it.
> > I used the provided md5sum to make sure what I was burning was
> > correct. I then burned the disk with k3B verify, for both the
> > md5sum and the actual download file, and burned the DVD with "verify"
> > which succeded. I started to install the DVD at 10:45 PM
> > on Saturday, and it is now 12:45 AM Sunday Morning. A long incremented
> > list of large numbers followed by the words,
> >
> > "EXPERIMENTAL Support Enabled"
> >
> > has been running ever since. I expect it will still be running in the
> > morning when I get up, and after church, when I get home at 1:15PM.
> >
> > ***********************************
> >
> > Is it possible to
> >
> > 1: Get  a specification of the computer characteristics on which
> > Centos will run?
> >
> > 1a.  Get the computer requirements, especially necescary disk space?
> >
> > 2: Purchase a copy of a disk which is guaranteed to run a CentOS KDE
> > system on the computer which I have described, and
> >       and if so, from whom?
> >
> > --doug
> >

> So now it is 14 hours later, and it is still spitting out these numbers,
> once a minute or so. At the bottom of this interminable list,
> instead of the former quote, it now says: "Use of these features in this
> kernel is at your own risk."
> I'd really like to try this system, but it defies me.

It sounds like there is just a fundamental hardware problem with your
system. From the age of the BIOS (2010) and the date of RHEL-7 coming out
2014.. you are at the cusp of upstream hardware support. The problems you
are describing could be anything ranging from BIOS/Mobo incompatibility to
a whole host of things which would take a while to debug. I would do the
following:

1. See if CentOS-6 runs on the hardware. If an ISO fails to boot either via
USB or DVD in a similar way then it may be a hardware issue.
2. Download an older version of CentOS-7 from vault.centos.org and see if
that will install.
3. Start looking at the hammer boot options which various motherboards
need. These can range from acpi=off noapic or a slew of others. [Google for
ones which might match your hardware.]

There are 10's of thousands of motherboards manufactured and trying to
enumerate which ones  aren't usable is not something any volunteer project
can do.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.