[CentOS] C7 Kernel module compilation

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:30:08 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 6:46 AM Alessandro Baggi
<alessandro.baggi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
> I'm trying to compile a single module following this guide:
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules#head-d2e4c05886f94c701e4ae74387d41d8c40c25d01
>
> and
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source
>
> I tried to compile a module for novuton led controller supplied by
> thirdparty and I got several error.
>
> To check if this is the wrong procedure I tried to compile cifs module
> as listed in howto but when loading with modprobe I get "Exec format
> error", and from dmesg "cifs: no symbol version for module_layout
> ", the same errors when compiling novuton module and I don't know why I
> get this error.

When following the instructions in BuildingKernelModules, which kernel
version did you use? Also, after the "depmod -a" step, what is the
output from:

$ modinfo cifs | grep filename

> I noticed that modules in centos are compressed in .xz but after running
> make M=fs/cifs I got only a .ko kernel module and then I run xz to
> compress the new module.

Compressing modules is optional. Uncompressed form is functionally the
same (of course it saves some disk space).

> Can someone help me please?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Akemi