[CentOS] another bizarre thing...

Young, Gregory gregory.young at solarwinds.com
Fri Aug 9 14:24:27 UTC 2019

Hi Fred,

Yep, that's exactly how control groups work in CentOS 7. You don't need to define them (normally), they get assigned when the init script or systemd service launches it. As I mentioned, the idea is to ensure none of those child threads become zombies if the parent dies/crashes/gets killed. For troubleshooting, you could try moving the child threads into their own cgroup, which might help reduce the noise when the parent process gets killed. Of course, you will have to manually kill the child processes during this testing, but it might clear enough of the strace logging for you to see where the parent process is getting killed. Don't forget to undo this debugging step when done, or you will end up with zombies when you legitimately want to shut down the process.

Also, if you haven't already, you may want to convert it to use the systemd ".service" file launching. It gives you a lot of control over startup timeouts, restarts, shutdown commands, process branching, etc. if nothing else, it might help you identify when the process dies, and restart it without intervention...

Gregory Young