[CentOS] Giving full administrator privileges through sudo on production systems

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sat Aug 17 13:42:15 UTC 2019

On Aug 17, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I like this one. Long-long ago it was one of the “tricky” questions at the UNIX admin test (exam). Basically, no matter how devastating that may sound, the command only will remove what is (alphabetically it was that time) before /dev/[root_device]. Once the device root filesystem lives on is removed from /dev, no further damage is done. So, you will be able to mount drive on another machine and get your /etc, /home, /var, /usr/local intact ;-) Asking that question other people gave me (an them usually) a lot of fun.

I’m not sure what UNIX systems where that’d actually happen, but on Linux systems, removing the device in /dev/ would not deter rm from being able to delete everything else on the mounted filesystems.

Certainly if you were using some sort of automount system, and the filesystems hadn’t unmounted, it would be fine.