[CentOS] browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

Jonathan Billings

billings at negate.org
Sun Aug 4 20:36:30 UTC 2019

On Aug 4, 2019, at 1:38 PM, Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> Now my problem is that whenever I have a
> browser open and an internet connection,
> my Centos 7 slows to a crawl.
> Chromium seems to be the least bad.
> Sometimes it slows to the point that I cannot even move the mouse.
> Even switching between virtual terminals takes a while sometimes.
> When I get there, top generally shows me between two and five D states.

Are you sure you don’t have other processes or users running on the system?  It only happens when you have a network connection?  It might also be swapping heavily, check to see how much RAM you have.  Check the output of ‘free’.

Look at the syslogs/journal when you’re logged in (in a terminal, run ’sudo journalctl -xfl’).  You will see a lot of stuff printed, but it might give you an idea of what’s going on.