[CentOS] [OT] odd network question

Giles Coochey

giles at coochey.net
Mon Aug 5 08:31:56 UTC 2019

On 05/08/2019 09:18, Pete Biggs wrote:
>> I've found the default 10min bans hardly bother some attackers.
>> So I've added the "recidive" feature of fail2ban.  After the
>> second 10min ban, the attacker is blocked for 1 week.
>>
> Oh definitely. My systems are set to "3 bans and you're out" - a
> recidive ban is permanent after three other bans.  I have large parts
> of some subnets in my ban list as attackers just move from one host to
> another as they get banned.
>
> P.

I worked for a company some time back that had an association with a
South African company who wanted to host some infrastructure in our data
centre, the network admin there wanted a specific configuration for
outbound source NAT from a certain host that would scroll through a list
of source NAT IP addresses (think a whole /24) for every connection
attempt, pretty sure it was for sending unsolicited emails, in any case
the association with that company didn't last and I took redundancy
after less than a year there.