[CentOS] Question on server speed

Warren Young

warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Aug 6 22:14:36 UTC 2019

On Aug 6, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Peter Larsen <peter at peterlarsen.org> wrote:

> you may also find that the
> "max speed" in the specification is far from what you get out of your
> hardware.

“May?” :)

That’s about like saying Honda Civics can go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds…when dropped off a cliff nose down so you get the benefit of the car’s well-designed aerodynamics.

    https://www.quora.com/How-fast-will-a-free-fall-take-me-from-0-60-mph

> use eSATA if you need it externally

I’ve had a lot of problems with eSATA, mainly in the delicacy of the cabling and connectors.  It’s almost as bad a standard as USB.

Proper Thunderbolt is far more robust and reliable, but you do pay for that.

…which is why USB sucks.  We expect to pay $20 for an 8-port hub, then gripe when half the ports die when the cat walks by due to the static EM field it emits.

I once went looking for reliable $100 USB hubs, but I couldn’t find anything outside the industrial sphere.  There’s the tragedy of USB: I can’t pay more to get better quality even if I wanted to, because the market punishes those that try.  They’d get 1-star reviews on Amazon because they’re too expensive!