[CentOS] Win 10 and C 6 CUPS

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 7 13:04:04 UTC 2019

> On Aug 6, 2019, at 5:41 PM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
> Is there any way, other than installing CUPS on windows, to get the damn Win laptop to print to my C 6 box, which has CUPS running and a USB laserjet?

Since forever (ah, about Win 2000) Windows knows UNIX printing. Making windows box talking to UNIX print server its native language makes the most robust setup. It is, however not turned on by default. So (adjust to your version as Microsoft reshuffles location of all the same tools with ever release):

Control Panel —> Programs and Features —> Enable/disable features

In the long list there is Printing, click on it to expand, and enable LPR and LPD

Now when creating printer choose to create new local port, choose LPR (or does it say LPD?) port and give your CUPS server name, and queue name. The rest is as usual (choose printer driver, I prefer postscript ones).

You should be done now. Incidentally, I use CUPS with LPD listening on the server side, as the last makes the most robust setup for variety of clients. We have FreeBSD server, and client systems are: FreeBSD, Linux (CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu), Windows, MacOS.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

> 	mark

Valeri Galtsev