[CentOS] C7 Kernel module compilation

Alessandro Baggi

alessandro.baggi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 15:59:55 UTC 2019

Il 07/08/19 01:02, Phil Perry ha scritto:
> On 06/08/2019 14:45, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Il 05/08/19 20:07, Akemi Yagi ha scritto:

>>> Update not finished yet but the above link has been added near the top
>>> of the wiki article.
>>>
>>> Akemi
>>>

>> Sorry, I was wrong, secureboot is disabled so I don't need to sign new
>> modules.
>>
>> How I can solve my problem?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> Please post the actual error message in dmesg or /var/log/messages.
>
> It's likely that the kernel is just grumbling that the module is not
> signed (missing key), but it's just noise unless you're using
> SecureBoot. Posting the actual message in full will help determine if
> that is the case.
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

Hi, thank you for your reply,
I solve adding in "General Setup" values of current kernel on
localversion option and adding Module.symver from
/boot/symver-version.gz to module directory.

Now I get another problem compiling the third party module (i2c-nct6775):

"CONFIG_RETPOLINE=y but not supported by the compiler. Compiler update
recomended. Stop."

I tried using scl gcc7 and 8 but get the same issue.

I checked that retpoline is related to Spectre but checking on centos with:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2

I get:

Mitigation: IBRS (kernel), IBPB

and RETPOLINE seems disabled (I'm wrong?).

I ridden in a blog post that I can disable this check commenting out
some lines starting from N. 166 of arch/Makefile but I don't think this
is the best approach.

At this point I can't understand what means the previous error and why I
get this error when compiling i2c-nct6775.

Thanks in advance.