[CentOS] kmod-nvidia-430.40-1.el7_6.elrepo.x86_64 fails to install

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Sun Aug 25 08:44:44 UTC 2019

On 25/08/2019 02:28, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 3:21 PM Ian Mortimer <i.mortimer at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>
>>> On August  2, my desktop unit updated with
>>> kmod-nvidia-430.40-1.el7_6.elrepo.x86_64
>>> which broke yum having a multiple of dependencies not being present.
>>
>> The latest from elrepo - kmod-nvidia-430.40-2.el7_7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm -
>> is built for EL 7.7 and is not compatible with CentOS 7.6.
>>
>> kmod-nvidia-430.40-1.el7_6.elrepo.x86_64 is the last that will work
>> with the latest CentOS 7.6 kernel.
>>

>> ---
>> Ian
>
> This issue can be taken care of by installing yum-plugin-elrepo from ELRepo.
>
> Akemi
> Akemi,
>
> Thank you for your help.  I actually had already installed yum-plugin-elrepo, and that was
> apparently part of the problem.   When I do an update with this repo active kmod-nvidia-
> 430.40-2.el7_7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm is the rpm that is set to be installed which does not work
> because I an running Centos 7.6.   When I installed kmod-nvidia-430.40-
> 1.el7_7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm instead of doing an update everything worked perfectly.
>
> Looks like the elrep repsitory may have a problem with this update.
>

> Greg

What kernel are you running? Please show the output from:

rpm -q kernel
uname -a

yum-plugin-elrepo is designed to mask kmod packages from the yum
transaction when the required kernel from those packages is not
available to yum. In order for the yum-plugin-elrepo to work correctly,
all kernels should be available. Unfortunately, because of the
differences between RHEL and CentOS, whereby RHEL makes ALL packages
continuously available whereas CentOS repositories ONLY contain the
latest point release and update packages, yum-plugin-elrepo may not work
correctly on CentOS in some circumstances.

The workaround is to enable the CentOS vault repository so that all
previous kernel packages are available to yum as they are on RHEL. See
this bug:

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=15476

Please try enabling the CentOS vault repo and see if that fixes your
issue with yum.

Thanks,

Phil