[CentOS] Ran across this process to upgrade from C6 to C7, will it work???

Gianluca Cecchi

gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 06:22:01 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:13 AM Jay Hart <jhart at kevla.org> wrote:

> Hence why I posted this. I figured it was either an older upgrade
> procedure that worked prior to
> C7, and that someone figured it would work with C7 the same as it did
> (assuming here) with C6...
>
> Jay

Just to give some history, both coming from Johnny Hughes posts:
- https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2016-May/159328.html
state in 2016 with git repos (now not available any more) with some
considerations and in particular:
"
These packages were supposed to be community maintained, but no one has
done the work to try to keep this updated.  I can TRY to do this (but
not for a while), but it would be better if someone from the community
would do it.
"

- https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2018-October/170381.html
state in 2018 as no one (yet?) felt to take the ownership
"
We would be very happy to publish those RPMs if we can get them to be
maintained by the community, and maintained in a consistent manner.
"

Possibly one of the reasons why it didn't take so much appeal was, as I
totally agree, still coming from the first post considerations:
"
I personally would never do an in place upgrade on a production machine.
 Call it a personal bias.
"
Lastly, as you can see from reading official documentation, upstream
limitations are very strong about set of packages that are supported to be
upgraded in place.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/migration_planning_guide/chap-red_hat_enterprise_linux-migration_planning_guide-upgrading#migration-prepare_your_system_for_upgrade
"
Ensure only supported package groups are installed
"

and probably on your system you have many other packages / package groups
and the natural question would be what to do with them during the upgrade
in place process...

HIH feeding information,
Gianluca