[CentOS] CentOS 8 partiitioning for reliability

Thu Aug 1 10:30:08 UTC 2019
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 7/19/19 11:57 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I was just given a Dell R720xd with 160 GB memory and 12x 900 GB drives
> that I plan to deploy as my home mail/file/backup server to replace an
> aging Supermicro server running CentOS 7. Yeah, it's gross overkill for
> that and I expect to tuck most of the drives away for spares.
>
> How should I RAID and partition this beast for maximum reliability?
>
> My current C7 system is using 1 TB of 2 TB capacity on the root
> partition (4x 1 TB drives in RAID 10). /boot is 300MB/50GB. Memory and
> swap is 8GB each.

As I read it, 500MB boot will be enough. My CentOS 7 server (with GUI)
without /home uses some 15GB (of 24GB root partition) so anything over
20GB should be enough for root partiton. 8GB SWAP should be enough since
you will not hibernate it.