[CentOS] Question on server speed

Mon Aug 5 19:12:37 UTC 2019
Jon Pruente <jpruente at riskanalytics.com>

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 2:01 PM Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway to use "nice" command to help with responiveness?   I was just using
> "rsync . /media/external" to do the copy.

You need to discover where it is blocking before deciding which solution
will work. Something like iotop, atop, or other more wide system monitoring
util will be more valuable than top/htop at this point since you seem to be
sure that's it's not the processor usage that is the issue. nice will only
work for scheduling processor use. There is the ionice command that can be
used to set I/O priority. It really doesn't sound like you have a problem
with process scheduling, so it's is probably more down the line of what you
would want to try depending on what a system util tells you.