[CentOS] browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

Mon Aug 5 22:51:13 UTC 2019
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Peter wrote:

> On 6/08/19 3:44 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> In any case, Centos 7 has not always been this slow.
>> Presumably something has changed.
>
> Websites have gotten more resource-intensive.  You've run "yum updates" and
> now have a newer version of Firefox and/or Chrome.  Your browsing habits have
> changed and you browse with more tabs open now.

More bloated browsers are not hard to believe in.
My habits haven't change much, though.
Mostly I use a browser for things I want
to read and things I want to download.
Maybe that is why I'd been getting along with 2GB.

> I have two suggestions for you:
>
> 1.  Run a lightweight desktop such as XFCE instead of Gnome or KDE.

I'll try it.

> 2.  Run out and buy more RAM.  Max your system out at 4G or 8G or whatever it
> will take.  You will need it and appreciate it.

Maybe.
I open the case with fear and trepidation.
The first time I opened a PC case,
I zapped my video card installing a disk drive.
Under the impressing that memory was the most ststic-sensitive
thing in a PC, I had a friend install the DDR2 memory I'd bought.
'Twas frightening to watch: like wathing The Cat in the Hat
play with one's grandmother's favorite china.
So far as I could tell, he totally ignored the
possbility that static could do bad things.
It worked and I did not have a heart attack.

Also, what is it with DDR2 prices?
When I bought DDR2,
DDR3 was the norm and I paid hundreds of dollars for DDR2.
Do not remember for how much.
Now I suspect DDR4 is the norm and am seeing 8GB of DDR2 for less than $30.
Huh? DDR3 isn't much more.

I'll need to do some digging to discover whether my box needs DDR2 or DDR3.DDR3
I doubt it's DDR4.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards