[CentOS] Question on server speed

Tue Aug 6 13:14:31 UTC 2019
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On Aug 6, 2019, at 7:04 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 at 19:49, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You may have a motherboard which is routing a lot through a single USB
>>> controller.
>>
>> Ridiculous if true.  Modern OSes solved the blocking I/O problem decades
>> ago.
>>
> The OS can only do as much as the hardware allows.

Back when we had serial mice, the most common data rate was 1200 bps.  That’s 0.0012 Mbit/sec.  If your 480 Mbit/sec USB-2 or 5/10/20 Mbit/sec USB-3 bus is so jammed up that it can’t trickle through that much data per second from the mouse while an SSD on the same bus is blocked on I/O, it’s dreck hardware.