[CentOS] browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

Tue Aug 6 14:30:05 UTC 2019
Denniston, Todd A CIV USN NSWC CD CRANE ID (USA) <todd.denniston at navy.mil>

<SNIP>

In the mean time you could enable zswap[1] to make the most out of the ram and swap you do have.
according to [2] either add 'zswap.enabled=1' to the boot line or 'echo 1 > /sys/module/zswap/parameters/enabled'

On an EL6 system with 512M of ram (yes that is correct, .5GB, actually ~.4GB because some is shared with the intel video) I use up-to-date EL6 firefox reasonably comfortably at home using zswap, setting max_pool_percent to 40.

I am trying to remember which kernel 7 is running (I tend to use the elrepo LT kernel on EL6) and if it has zswap or only zram.

before switching to the LT kernel I used zram [3] on the machine as swap space (pretending to be 90% of ram) instead and it works very fast, but when it runs out (say on a site with lots of JPGs) and you hit real swap again performance tanks VERY badly.  EL7 may have zram setup to swap in such a way that you can 'sysctl start zram' and try it out.

Good luck.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zswap
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/vm/zswap.html
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram

--
Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the terms of any contract.