[CentOS] another bizarre thing...

Wed Aug 7 03:02:37 UTC 2019
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On Aug 6, 2019, at 8:48 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> Setting up as you described earlier, is there a way to allow only
> a single program to drop core?

Of course.

The * in the limits.d file is a “domain” value you can adjust to suit:

    https://www.thegeekdiary.com/understanding-etc-security-limits-conf-file-to-set-ulimit/

You’d have to read the systemd docs to figure out the defaults for LimitCore, but I suspect you don’t get cores until you set this on a per-service basis.

You can also adjust the sysctl pattern path to put cores somewhere secure.  That’s the normal use of absolute paths: put the cores into a dropbox directory that only root can read but anyone can write to.

Also, I should point out that my first step, removing ABRT, is a heavy-handed method. Maybe what you *actually* want to do is learn to cooperate with ABRT rather than rip it out entirely.