[CentOS] another bizarre thing...

Tue Aug 13 02:38:34 UTC 2019
Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 08:52:59PM -0400, Fred Smith (fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us) wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:16:35AM +1000, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:57:45PM -0400, Fred Smith (fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us) wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> >
> > Late to the thread but since it has not been suggested: Have you tried to statically link all libs?
>
> I doubt modern Linux systems will produce a fully-static binary, since
> many of the system libs come only as .so files.

I know that.
It's just how keen you are to find the reason ... especially if you have no control what libraries (even i686) are installed on the other machines.

Depening how many libraries the binary uses you could download them and use those as source for inclusion.
You could omit the obvious libs for starters ... and then even include those if still crashing.
You only need to distribute those binaries to the people who have problems ...

If a couple of those customers (failing progs) are helpful get a "yum list installed" and scan the list of libs and see whether sth might raise eyebrows.

For example I had one of my machines failing on one prog because it had "glibc.i686" installed due to ftdi.
I changed the program using the ftdi libs to use full x86_64 (took me a few hours) and unstinalled the "glibc.i686" and suddenly the other prog had no problems!

I know you cant tell people to un-install but static linking MIGHT help.

--
Jobst Schmalenbach
Who is general Failure and what is he doing on my disk?