[CentOS] midco stealling searches, was browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Dec 3 19:37:11 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 01:17:53PM -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I only have ifcfg-lo , which I am pretty sure is the loopback interface.
> As expected, other files suggest eth0 is my ethernet connection.
> Should I add a one-line ifcfg-eth0 file?

If you are using ethernet (and not a wireless device or some other
internet connectivity) you should have an ifcfg- file for the
interface.  Look at the output of 'ip link' to see all the interfaces
you have configured.

> Currently I have
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> # search midcoip.net
> nameserver 2001:48f8:3004:2ce:5a19:f8ff:fe9e:a4bc
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> My understanding is that the network manager
> generates resolv.conf and DHCP edits it.
> Does the network manager include nameservers?
> Would putting PEERDNS=no in a ifcfg-eth0 file
> result in an empty resolv.conf ?
> I realize I could just try it and see,
> but I do not know how much damage I could do if I mess it up.

Since there's no ifcfg file, I suspect you're using NetworkManager to
manage your network.  Run 'nmcli con' to get a list of your network
connections, and then run 'nmcli con edit "Connection Name"' (replace
"Connection Name" with the name of your ethernet connection).  You can
then set ipv4.ignore-auto-dns to 'yes' and then set ipv4.dns and
ipv4.dns-search.  This should override what DHCP sets.

> > This is documented in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
>
> I have /usr/share/doc/initscripts-9.49.47/sysconfig.txt only.

I used the * as a glob, not a literal character.