[CentOS] need info for X11 keybindings for CentOS7

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Dec 10 01:06:44 UTC 2019

On Dec 9, 2019, at 17:54, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, those consoles are available but they are NOT my original text mode login console which used to be vt1 and is now taken over by Gnome. What they do is bring me to a login prompt -- this is NOT what I want. This change to vt1 for my GUI, in this case, Gnome is a change with version 7 of CentOS due to some sort of validation with a REAL console. I am still NOT clear on what the problem is. I could easily go in and modify startx to NOT start with vt1 for GUI (this is NOT in the "standard" version of startx) but well, I am still trying to sort this out.

The “startx” command will run Xorg with -keeptty if you launch it from a VT console. I believe this is related to non-setuid Xorg and systemd-logind, but it’s been a long time since I’ve cared about startx. I prefer graphical login prompts. I think you can run startx with a vt7 parameter if you want the old behavior.

> What happened to cause this concern to me. My GUI totally and completely locked up on me last week. I could NOT log out, I could not do ANYTHING! I finally had to just power down completely! The old ctrl-alt-F1 used to put me back at console without fail. I don't like having this option "taken away".

You couldn’t log in on another VT and kill the other session?  Or just run reboot?  I’m pretty sure that the xorg-x11-xinit package hasn’t changed in several years so you must not have needed it that much.

--
Jonathan Billings