[CentOS] Using Pulse Audio--question

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Dec 23 14:06:04 UTC 2019

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 06:22:58PM -0700, David G. Miller wrote:
> On 12/22/19 6:01 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

> >>In my SL7 Mate system I use the Hardware and Output tabs in
> >>System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>Bill
> >Thanks bill.
> >
> >But nothing I do there causes output.
> >
> >As far as I can tell, the hardware tab just shows you what HW it
> >recognizes, you can't actually make any settings there.
> >
> >In pavucontrol, I can see the from the audio activity bar that
> >the audio is getting into it, in the input tab. in the recording
> >tab I can see it too, but there's nothing in the playback tab that
> >makes it come out the speakers. :(
> >
> >Fred
> I do something similar to what you're trying to do when I digitize
> my vinyl LPs.  I take output from my amp/turntable into my sound
> card and use Audacity to digitize it and write an appropriate sound
> file.  I also monitor the sound using Audacity by telling it to also
> route the sound to my speakers.  The point of all of this is that I
> think you need a piece of software (Audacity is probably overkill)
> to receive the input and play it back via the output.  You don't
> mention any "playback" software.

Yeah, I've done that with Audacity, when recording I can use its
monitor function to feed audio to the computer's audio out. And
I'll be doing that again in the not-far-distant future, as I have
hundreds of LPs around here, at least some of which I'll want to
digitize.

I have one other suggestion from another responder to check out
before I fall back to doing this.

thanks for the idea, though!

Fred
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding