[CentOS] Problem with disconnecting SSH-sessions

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 01:13:39 UTC 2019

On 12/26/19 2:49 PM, H wrote:
> I just looked at the settings in /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the workstation - which should apply to all users on it - I already had:
>
> Host *
>   TCPKeepAlive yes
>   ServerAliveInterval 60

Well, keep-alive options would only make a difference if the problem
were a DNAT timeout.  If it's some other limitation imposed on DNAT,
those won't have any effect.

If you can reproduce this reliably and have admin access to both the
server and client, you can determine whether the router is the problem:

1) Start an scp transfer of a large file

2) Use netstat or ss on the client to determine what port the client is
using for the SSH connection

3) Use netstat or ss on the server to determine what port the client is
using (NAT will probably change both the client's address and port)

4) Run "tcpdump -nn host <server address> and port <client TCP port>" on
the client, using the values from step 2

5) Run "tcpdump -nn host <client address> and port <client TCP port>" on
the server, using the values from step 3

6) Wait for the transfer to terminate

I expect that when the client terminates, you'll see a TCP reset packet
at the end of the output from tcpdump on the client side, but you won't
see that packet in the tcpdump output on the server side.  If so, then
the router is sending the TCP reset, and you'll need to work with its
owners to resolve the problem.

Incidentally, why are you connecting to an internal resource through an
external address (NAT)?  Are you unable to connect directly to its
internal address?