[CentOS] cannot install Centos 8 Stream

Mon Dec 30 15:59:39 UTC 2019
Paul de Vries <paul.de.vries at xs4all.nl>

I want to install Centos Stream on an older server. the Areca ARC-1680 RAID Controller is not supported anymore, so I tried to install on an external USB drive.

i did a manual partitioning:
sdc1 /boot/efi   efi system partition
sdc2 /boot       ext4
sdc3 /           lvm
and the system cannot boot - hangs forever.

new try:
sdc1 /boot/efi, efi system partition
sdc2 /           xfs
at end of install i see 'bootloader install failed'.
debug shows 'NOTICE root:83haiku: debug: /dev/sdc1 is not a beFS partiotion: exiting'

then i did an automatic partitioning and got no efi partition.
and the system cannot boot - hangs forever.

HOW do i install centos stream on external usb disk with efi boot?