[CentOS] Using Pulse Audio--question

Mon Dec 23 01:22:58 UTC 2019
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

On 12/22/19 6:01 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 11:34:32AM +1100, Bill Maidment wrote:
>> On 23/12/2019 11:06 am, Fred Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I can find no way to do it with pavucontrol, nor the default mate
>>> sound tool.
>> In my SL7 Mate system I use the Hardware and Output tabs in
>> System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bill
> Thanks bill.
>
> But nothing I do there causes output.
>
> As far as I can tell, the hardware tab just shows you what HW it
> recognizes, you can't actually make any settings there.
>
> In pavucontrol, I can see the from the audio activity bar that
> the audio is getting into it, in the input tab. in the recording
> tab I can see it too, but there's nothing in the playback tab that
> makes it come out the speakers. :(
>
> Fred
I do something similar to what you're trying to do when I digitize my
vinyl LPs.  I take output from my amp/turntable into my sound card and
use Audacity to digitize it and write an appropriate sound file.  I also
monitor the sound using Audacity by telling it to also route the sound
to my speakers.  The point of all of this is that I think you need a
piece of software (Audacity is probably overkill) to receive the input
and play it back via the output.  You don't mention any "playback" software.

Cheers,
Dave

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

-- Benjamin Franklin