[CentOS] Using Pulse Audio--question

Mon Dec 23 14:16:18 UTC 2019
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 05:32:05PM -0800, John Pierce wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 5:23 PM David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
>
> > I do something similar to what you're trying to do when I digitize my
> > vinyl LPs.  I take output from my amp/turntable into my sound card and
> > use Audacity to digitize it and write an appropriate sound file.  I also
> > monitor the sound using Audacity by telling it to also route the sound
> > to my speakers.  The point of all of this is that I think you need a
> > piece of software (Audacity is probably overkill) to receive the input
> > and play it back via the output.  You don't mention any "playback"
> > software.
> >

> on many analog sound cards, the output mixer has a 'monitor' channel for
> the input mixer, so if you crank up the Line IN on the input mixer, then
> turn up the 'monitor' output on the output mixer, you should get
> passthrough audio without any software getting involved in moving the sound
> in realtime.
>
> this is much less likely to work with a seperate USB audio source, as thats
> not directly connected to your output.   ditto it won't work with  USB
> speakers or headphones, as they are not directly connected to the source.
>
> --
> -john r pierce
>   recycling used bits in santa cruz

John, thanks for the hint. I'll certainly be giving that a try in the
near future (possibly today).

Took a brief look last night, using the USB input and only the input
tab shows "monitor" items, but not the output tab. And I'm not sure that
my analog input jacks on the computer are working, or at least I've never
been able to get them to work (hence the USB audio thingie), though I'll
take another whack at it and see if I can see what you describe.

Thanks forthe idea!

Fred