[CentOS] C7, firewalld and rich rules

Warren Young

warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Feb 1 15:32:10 UTC 2019

On Jan 31, 2019, at 3:25 PM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> ...there aren’t automatic programming
>> language conversion tools...
>
> You mean like the one I meant to use 25 or so years ago, basic2c?

All right, so it’s a bad example, but it’s bad both directions.

The problem of firewall rule conversion isn’t about protecting billions of dollars of investment in development by moving from a disfavored, underpowered programming language to a faster, better, and rising language.  The economic incentive for a firewall rule conversion tool is much smaller.

I don’t think it’s entirely uneconomic to solve this problem.  I see two plausible options:

1. Find everyone who has this problem, have them all chip in $1-5, and you’ll probably have enough to pay for the development of a tool at least as faithful as that BASIC to C translator you mentioned.  We’ve got the crowdfunding platforms to make this possible.

2. Find a single organization that’s got this problem badly enough that they’re willing to fund the development of this tool from their internal IT/development budget.  You might stretch it to two organizations resulting in a pair of collaborating developers, but beyond that, you’ve got too many cooks in the kitchen for the size of the problem, so you go to #1.

If you’re like me, both look like hard solutions, which is probably a better answer to your question than my language translator attempt.