[CentOS] Centos bug 15570 - Not just a VBOX bug, can also reproduce on direct hardware install

Steve Gomez

steve.gomez.sg79 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:32:23 UTC 2019

Ran into this rather frustrating bug when working with VBOX on a Windows 10
host.  It should come as no surprise that I would hit this bug when
installing CentOS, and also with RHEL 7 Server  with GUI (since you get the
same kernel).  Based on information from your bug list, I was fortunately
able to workaround the trouble with:

wget
https://people.centos.org/toracat/kernel/7/plus/bug15570new/kernel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm
wget
https://people.centos.org/toracat/kernel/7/plus/bug15570new/kernel-devel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm

yum -y localinstall kernel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm
yum -y localinstall kernel-devel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm

However, the bug lists seem to refer only to issues with VirtualBox.  I
have experienced the same symptom when installing on a "hardware" system
(no hypervisor).  The same commands above also provide a workaround here,
but thought the flag should be raised for CentOS and RHEL that it doesn't
seem to be just VBOX.

Perhaps the priority of this issue should be raised further up the pole
since I can't imagine it being a good experience for someone who doesn't
know how to dig through a problem like this.  The average bear would
install something else and move on.

In any case, thank you for the patch information.  Look forward to a "real"
fix soon.  Other than that I'm really liking CentOS 7.

SG