[CentOS] Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Feb 15 14:53:06 UTC 2019

On Feb 15, 2019, at 1:14 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdteoenming at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
>>
> My budget is around USD$50 per year.

The cheapest RAID-friendly drives we’re buying these days are about US $37/TB in low quantities.

A big data warehouser will be getting a substantial price break on their drives, but even halving the payoff time, you’re still asking the cloud storage provider to accept a payoff time in the 18 year range.  And that’s ignoring the cost of rack space, computers to run the drives, networking, bandwidth, staff, redundancy, drive turnover...

There’s nothing magical about The Cloud that makes everything cheaper.  They still have to buy the same components you and I do, then they have to pay someone to manage it all, someone else to house it all, etc.

You’re *dreaming*.