[CentOS] What is the proper place for GDM related dconf settings now?

Sean

smalder73 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:43:05 UTC 2019

Hello,

It seems that with CentOS 7.6 and Gnome 3.28, a clean install of a
Workstation package profile does not build the /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/
directory tree.  I have several desktops in operation which we
kickstart built with an older 7.3/4/5 version of CentOS as the base
install media.  These all have a dconf directory for gdm, and I assume
a dconf profile directory for gdm as well (though I admit it always
worked so I never cared about looking for it).  These existing
machines are all running 7.6 today, and still have the
/etc/dconf/db/gdm.d directory settings applied (like
disable-user-list=true).

A newly built machine from the same kickstart but with 7.6 install
media doesn't provide the gdm.d directory.  I seem to recall, I admit
it's been a long while, that with older versions of Gnome 3, dconf
couldn't set things for gdm properly unless the settings were located
in a special dconf db just for gdm.  I can edit the kickstart %post%
to make the directory(s) before dropping files in them, but I'm
hesitant to do so if the files won't be honored because there's a more
appropriate place now.

I can take this up with the gnome list, if necessary, but CentOS is my
platform so I'm not sure if it's a distribution specific configuration
or functional change to Gnome.  I tried searching through
gitlab.gnome.org to see if I can dig up any issues, release notes and
such, but I didn't find anything that seemed relevant.

Thanks!

--Sean