[CentOS] What is the proper place for GDM related dconf settings now?

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Wed Feb 20 10:36:47 UTC 2019

Sean wrote:

> Thanks for that, I do not have a RH support account.  I will put in
> the scripting to ensure the directory is there.  I can confirm that
> after putting it in there manually everything seems to work correctly.
>
> That said, I guess I'm interested in the "design" choice and if there
> isn't a more appropriate place to stick this type of config under the
> new "design".  Again, I tried to hunt through release notes, issues,
> etc. in Gnome's gitlab code tree, but didn't find anything that jumped
> out at me as relevant to changing the behavior or otherwise noting a
> "design" change between Gnome versions.

I have a feeling Redhat might not be telling the whole story here ?

If you have a look at the Redhat SRPM spec file for gdm with 7.5, in the
%build section, it explicitly does:

  mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/dconf/db/gdm.d/locks

and then in the %files section:

  %dir %{_sysconfdir}/dconf/db/gdm.d/locks
  %dir %{_sysconfdir}/dconf/db/gdm.d

i.e. Redhat add /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/ to their packaging of gdm - which
has nothing to do with the upstream gnome/gdm release

The above bits are missing from the 7.6 gdm spec file ...

I would say that this is a strange thing to do, as Redhat are usually
quite good at keeping things as compatible as possible between minor
releases - but I guess they must of had their reasons?

James Pearson