[CentOS] what writes to /root/.cache/mesa ?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Feb 21 15:30:55 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 08:22:39AM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> PS This gives me dejavu. A while ago when people started demanding to have
> google chrome browser installed on their workstations I had hard time to get
> rid of google's cron jobs that were writing where only root should - without
> explicit permission to do so. Dough. Somebody's software thinks it is
> smarter than everyone who uses it... "Machine learning" all the way ;-)

Since I work at a university that uses Google Apps, we're asked to
provide Google Chrome for all our users, but since the package is not
very enterprise ready, I have to make several adjustments.

One thing I do is put an 'exit 0' in /etc/default/google-chrome.  This
effectively stops most of the evil that the RPM does in its
postscripts.  (As a reminder, this is what the latest RPM does,
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/MS~7Fkr5AWYo7SAWAl8t6A )

I also manage private repos (with pulp) of the Google Chrome repos, in
case I need to go back to a previous version, so having it overwrite
my repositories is actually damaging.

I also disable 'at' and the atd service on our workstations, and this
RPM turns atd back on and schedules an at job to run the
/etc/cron.daily/google-chrome script.

It's an absurd RPM and Google should be ashamed of it.