[CentOS] time to say good-bye to win 7 / printer is the last blocker

J Martin Rushton martinrushton56 at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 22 09:53:36 UTC 2019

On 22/02/2019 09:21, Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 07:12 +0100, Ralf Prengel wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> the laptop of my wife is the last Win7 system in my network.
>> My question:
>> I need a well supported printer (MFC) with network interface, if possible with colour printing.
>>

> I know this is a bit controversial since they are a bit Marmite in
> nature, but I use HP devices.  They are well supported using the most
> recent hplip package - that also provides a scan to desktop
> functionality, but I tend to use the sane packages because they better
> suit how I work.
>
> P.

My recent experience is that Cannon is pretty useless.  You apparently
need the latest sane, which is more recent that CentOS provides.  I
suppose they are good as door stops.

I've used Samsung in the past and Linux support is poor, but just usable.

My latest is an HP MFP M281 which so far seems to perform well and the
control interface works with Linux.  I control it from the main CentOS
machine, but it is also directly access from other distros and from
Win6/Win7 laptops.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS