[CentOS] hplips

mark

m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Feb 26 18:48:19 UTC 2019

Yeah, about that... Back in '12, we got a nice HP poster printer. They
don't support Linux, but a co-worker got the .ppd out of the Mac support
file.

I tried it, then I looked at the file in vi... and found it *only*
supported the 24" printer, *not* the 44" printer that we had.

Well, we just bought a replacement, since the old printer was EOL'd. This
time, I went to hplips, d/l and built the current one, and sure enough,
there's a .ppd for the DesignJet Z9.

Any bets on what I found? No? There was *NO* support for the 44" printer.
I saw *one* setting for something 30x42 (the 100' roll of paper is 42"
wide).

I joined and tried asking about that on the hplips site. That was last
week. Not a single response.

HP no longer does software support for their printers (I got that from the
engineer - we do have contract support). Had a friend d/l and install the
Mac ps driver... no .ppd.

Anyone know someone who's involved with hplips? Otherwise, I'm going to
have to spend half a day or a day hacking the damn .ppd.

Btw, the server it's attached to is C6. One of these days I'll upgrade it
to C7, but the *only* think it's used for now are these poster printers.

      mark