[CentOS] HPlip Mark Roth/Jon LaBadie .

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 27 18:04:29 UTC 2019

On 2/27/19 9:16 AM, mark wrote:
> Ger van Dijck wrote:
>>
>> The problems with HPlip goes on and on : I can not manage to establish a
>> connection on WiFi with the HP4620 : I can print to the printer but not
>> scan . Running hp-check results in cups is not running, hplip is not
>> properly (HP) installed , xsane is not installed etc.. But I can assure
>> you all this software is properly installed : Hp-check cannot detect the
>> scanfunction on the HP4620. When running on USB cable all runs fine !
>>
>> Maybe Bug 1683312 from Zdenek Dohnal (Red Hat) could be helpfull : I
>> reported this bug .
>>
>> Hp does not support Unix/Linux applications ! Are they really so stupid
>> to think that the world excist by MS and all other users do not need
>> support:
>> Arrogance or stupidity ?
>>
> The inheritance of Carly. I was on the phone yesterday to HP - we just
> bought this $$$$ printer, and it's under warranty. The engineer I spoke
> with told me he'd been there since '99, and he could tell me how to
> dissassemble and rebuild this brand new poster printer in his sleep. He
> does not, however, know software.... When I mentioned that HP has support
> in '12 for Macs - I was hoping to get the .ppd from the Mac package, as we
> had for the z3200ps in '12 - he told me they'd gotten rid of the Mac
> support team.
>
> Yes: no software support.

<rant>

I figure, I will add some rant about HP printer department.

But first of all, I have to tell how great HP printer department was in
the past. The past in my book is some 5 years ago and before that. About
decade ago Xerox went really bad. They started making small changes to
models, so tones were not compatible between them, thus they got rid of
3rd party vendors selling "compatible" toners for their printers (who
will start production for something that covers only small number of
potential customers). I didn't see an indication of really bad thing
then, but some 5 years down the road they stopped making supplies for
their printers, and no "compatibles" were being produced by anybody. So,
all Xerox printers 5 years young (I hate to use word "old" here) were
just junk. That day I said: I will never buy any Xerox anything, period.
Yes I still agree with their old motto saying that they taught the world
how to copy.

By that time we also had a bunch of HP printers, and we happily kept
getting newer models of HP printers. As a great example I would mention:
about a year ago I almost retired HP LaserJet 4050 (b/w printer), that
was heavily used in the Department for about 15 years, still working,
still making prints of great quality, supplies for which still were
produced by HP. So, HP was my life saver as far as printers go.

Now finally to the rant: I recently started having issues, or rather
single issue (jam of duplex jobs) with two of HP Color LaserJet CP4525
printers. Two, not just one. And now that I'm trying to find RELIABLE
enterprise level printer for the department, I can not. It sounds like
models HP manufacture now are not reliable. A few reliable ones were
just discontinued recently. So, I'm dead in the water: what next printer
to get for the department where it is used heavily? (yes, I included in
consideration other manufacturers except Xerox).

</rant>

>       mark

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator