[CentOS] nvidia on 7.6

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Feb 27 20:41:46 UTC 2019

Phil Perry wrote:
> On 27/02/2019 18:55, Jerry Geis wrote:
>
>> I have elrepo installed. rpm -qa | grep elrepo gives
>> elrepo-release-7.0.3.el7.elrepo.noarch
>>
>> nvidia detect (which installed) tells me kmod-nvidia-340xx
>>
>> when I do yum install kmod-nvidia-340xx it is saying no package
>> kmod-nvidia-340xx available ?
>>
>> What did I miss? Thanks,
>>

>> Jerry
>>

> Hi Jerry,
>

> I removed the kmod-nvidia-340xx legacy driver package from elrepo
> because it was not compatible with the new libglvnd packages in el7.6.
>
> In order for it to work, I'll need to update the package, and I just
> haven't found the time to get around to it yet. I was kinda hoping that
> since the 340xx legacy driver branch is old now, and support for it ends
> at the end of this year, we could get away with dropping it if no one was
> using it.
>
> So, until I get around to updating it, your choices are to use the
> native nouveau driver or use the NVIDIA installer from nvidia's website to
> install the driver. Is there any reason you can't use the native nouveau
> driver and have to use the nvidia driver? I can't imagine 3D acceleration
> is of much concern to you given you're running 10 year old hardware that
> was entry level when it was first released.
>
> I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to fix the elrepo package
> and get it reinstated into the repository.

Phil, thanks for your work.

I just built a new-to-him workstation for a user, with a *much* newer
NVidia card than his old: this one's from '12, instead of from '07.... (I
work for a US federal contractor, and the civilian sector budgets...)

Anyway, it needs the 390, and given that it looks like support's not that
long, I made the decision to install the proprietary. kmod-nvidia's
great... but, y'know.

     mark