[CentOS] What files to edit when changing the sdX of hard drives?

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Feb 28 20:25:47 UTC 2019

miguel medalha wrote:
>> No, I dislike UUIDs. I dislike, strongly, lots of extra typing that
>> doesn't really get me anything. MAYBE, if you're in a Google or Amazon
>> datacenter, with 500,000 physical servers (I phone interviewed with
>> them 10 years ago)... but short of that? Nope.
>>
> You can (perhaps should...) use the World Wide Name, which is a
> manufacturer ID unique to each disk. Contrary to the /sdX, it doesn't
> change with different configurations, OS or computer. An example of such
> an ID is the following:
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50025ee3b4f5ca61
>
> Many modern disks have their WWN printed on their labels.

Why? And if I'm partitioning it, that won't work anyway. I partition, then
format with -l <labelname> and I don't *have* to change configuration, if
I'm say, replacing a failed disk. The labels I use *mean* something -
root, export, etc. Why would I want a meaningless id? That's like
companies who name everyone's computer some id, rather than, say,
mrothltp?

Hell, a few hours ago, a manager came to me to ask about network issues. I
thought I'd try to ping his system, and asked him the system name.  Of
*course* he couldn't remember it.

Self-documenting ia useful, if not carried overboard.

      mark