[CentOS] time --verbose not working

Mon Feb 11 21:18:16 UTC 2019
david <david at daku.org>

At 01:06 PM 2/11/2019, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>I can't seem to get the verbose mode of time
>working.  I am trying to compare the compute
>cost of sha256-crypt to sha512-crypt:
>
>time doveadm pw -s sha256-crypt -p secret
>
>real    0m0.128s
>user    0m0.081s
>sys     0m0.040s
>
>time doveadm pw -s sha512-crypt -p secret
>
>real    0m0.162s
>user    0m0.105s
>sys     0m0.047s
>
>But all attempts to add --verbose fail:
>
>time --verbose doveadm pw -s sha512-crypt -p secret
>-bash: --verbose: command not found
>
>Googling gives different recommendations, none work for me.

To quote from linux.die.net/man/1/time

Note: some shells (e.g.,
<https://linux.die.net/man/1/bash>bash(1)) have a
built-in time command that provides less
functionality than the command described here. To
access the real command, you may need to specify
its pathname (something like /usr/bin/time).

Could it be you've encountered this?

David