[CentOS] Cups Ink Levels

Wed Feb 13 11:46:31 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 19:44, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> In this week's Open Source Highlights I read:
>
> "Check ink level: If you have an Epson, Canon, HP, or Sony printer, you
> can see its ink level with a simple application. Look for the "ink"
> package in your distribution repositories."
>
> I checked my package manager but I didn't find any "ink" package.  Does
> such a package exist for Centos?  Is so, what it the package called?

I do not see anyone having packaged the command for CentOS. The source
code is here http://ink.sourceforge.net/ and here
http://libinklevel.sourceforge.net/

>From the page:
Libinklevel is a library for checking the ink level of your printer on
a system which runs Linux or FreeBSD. It supports printers attached
via USB. Currently printers of the following brands are supported: HP,
Epson and Canon. Canon BJNP network printers are supported too. A
detailed list of supported printers is available. This is not official
software from the printer manufacturers. The goal of this project is
to create a vendor independent API for retrieving the ink level of a
printer connected to a Linux or FreeBSD box. You can download the
current version here.

So if your printer is connected by USB (or a Canon BJNP network) and
one of the the 3 supported.. it can work for you.