[CentOS] Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Fri Feb 15 17:00:15 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Warren Young wrote:

>> My budget is around USD$50 per year.
>>

> The cheapest RAID-friendly drives we’re buying these days are about US
> $37/TB in low quantities.
>
> A big data warehouser will be getting a substantial price break on their
> drives, but even halving the payoff time, you’re still asking the cloud
> storage provider to accept a payoff time in the 18 year range.  And
> that’s ignoring the cost of rack space, computers to run the drives,
> networking, bandwidth, staff, redundancy, drive turnover...
>
> There’s nothing magical about The Cloud that makes everything cheaper.
> They still have to buy the same components you and I do, then they have
> to pay someone to manage it all, someone else to house it all, etc.
>
> You’re *dreaming*.

$38/tb? Google shopping shows me a 4TB WD Red at $110. A two-drive esata
bay is under $100.

Btw, for anything like this, DO NOT BUY consumer grade drives. Make *sure*
they're NAS-rated, like WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf.

       mark