[CentOS] C7 basic install, HATE

Fri Feb 15 23:49:44 UTC 2019
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

On 15/02/2019 18:36, Warren Young wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2019, at 11:08 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>> To say "spend $20..." does not relate to "have to find a workaround to do
>> it *today*", nor to "this is a  work system, I'm not driving out to
>> Microcenter to buy one”.
>
> What’s your hourly rate?  How much did *not* driving out to Microcenter cost your employer?
>
> If you’re salaried, there’s the opportunity costs: what work did you *not* do while trying to save that $20 and hour round trip?
>
> RHEL drops old hardware constantly, roughly aligning with its ~10 year support window.  It doesn’t surprise me that the early Matrox cards have fallen out of support by now.
>
> The last such deprecation to bite me was the 3ware 8000 series cards, last supported on EL5 or 6.  When resuscitating such systems, we either have to stick with the old OS or upgrade them to 9000 series cards — which won’t attach 8000 series RAID sets — or switch array technologies entirely.
>
> Doubtless you can throw heroic efforts at getting old X drivers to build with current software, but is that a good use of your time, given the alternatives?

Not an uncommon situation though.  "Driving" - that's hugely expensive
requiring a hire car (never let ordinary grunts use their own vehicles,
it might cost more). "out" - 'elf'n'safety, have they signed off the
appropriate bit of paper, and who is checking up on the time?
"Microcenter" - do we have a preferred supplier agreement with them.
Are they even on the SAP system?  Far better to use corporate's method
since then no-one can be blamed for wastage.  "Employer" - Ahh, do you
mean the shareholders, the local business manager, or the local team
manager.  If the latter, can he shift the cost elsewhere and wring his
hands effectively?

I would add an "</cynic>", but it wouldn't be appropriate here.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS