[CentOS] Setting GDM resolution without knowing the monitor specs

Fri Feb 22 14:01:49 UTC 2019
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On Feb 21, 2019, at 11:13 PM, Simon Matter via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 21, 2019, at 4:42 PM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> [root at desktop xorg.conf.d]# cat 00-monitor.conf
>
> Why not just ship it with text mode login and get rid of all the video
> problems? With a 800x600 resolution I doubt they can do a lot with the GUI
> anyway.

Because I can talk a Windows admin through an IP change over the phone easier via Settings > Network than with nano in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  I’ve tried it both ways several times, and it’s not even a close thing.

Once I’ve got remote access, the screen gets turned back off, never to turn back on for perhaps years at a time.