[CentOS] C7, firewalld and rich rules

Thu Jan 31 22:25:34 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Warren Young wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2019, at 11:12 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>> Why would *ANYONE* think that everyone should just start from scratch,
>> taking all the time in the world to get it converted?
>
> If the conversion were simple enough to be easily automated, the new
> system is probably no more than just a syntactic difference away from the
> old, and thus does not provide any interesting new functionality or
> change in existing functionality.

Note that I spoke with my manager about using zones, and his opinion is
they're crap - ok for one box, but not for the firewall usage I'm working
on.

> It’s much the same as asking why there aren’t automatic programming
> language conversion tools: we wouldn’t need more than one programming
> language if they all mapped 1:1 to each other, short of going down to the
> machine code level and back up the technology stack.

You mean like the one I meant to use 25 or so years ago, basic2c? You let
them do the mass conversion, then you fix it. A lot faster than rewriting
*everything*.

Unless you're talking about a program that converts from, say, C, to lisp....
<snip>