[CentOS] How to troubleshoot partial shutdown problem?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 13:06:36 UTC 2019

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 12:47:42 +0100
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> after issuing a regular shutdown,
> the system starts the shutdown procedure, but stalls at some point,
> and never finishes. It gets to the console, writes the "powering down"
> message and stops there --- the hardware never actually powers off.

Just to add another datapoint --- when booted using the old kernel,
3.10.0-123, the shutdown proceeds correctly, while when booted using
the latest kernel, 3.10.0-957.1.3, the shutdown fails. I don't have
installed any other in-between kernels to test.

So this appears to be kernel-related. Any suggestions?

TIA, :-)
Marko