[CentOS] CentOS 7.6 1810 vs. VirtualBox : bug with keyboard layout selection

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Fri Jan 4 07:53:26 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm currently working on my next Linux book, which will be an elementary
course about CentOS administration. I'm using VirtualBox for all the
installer screenshots.

Since CentOS has recently been upgraded to version 7.6, I thought I
might as well base all book references on this version. So I downloaded
the 7.6 1810 minimal ISO and started a fresh installation in VirtualBox.

I'm using a Swiss French keyboard layout (ch-fr or fr_CH-latin1), so one
of the first things I do in the installer is replace the default French
AZERTY keyboard (since I use the french language) by a swiss french
QWERTZ layout.

Now when I reach this dialog in the installer and try do define my new
layout, the slider in the selection window doesn't appear, and clicking
on any of the first layouts doesn't do anything, so I'm basically stuck
there.

I'm running OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 KDE on my workstation, so I tried the
same thing with the previous CentOS 7.5 1804 minimal ISO, and the
keyboard selection dialog works perfectly.

So my intuition would tell me that there's a nasty bug in the CentOS 7.6
installer. Maybe it went unnoticed, since most folks stick to the
default keyboard layout selected in their language.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat