[CentOS] CentOS 7.6 1810 vs. VirtualBox : bug with keyboard layout selection

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 08:14:11 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:53 PM Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on my next Linux book, which will be an elementary
> course about CentOS administration. I'm using VirtualBox for all the
> installer screenshots.
>
> Since CentOS has recently been upgraded to version 7.6, I thought I
> might as well base all book references on this version. So I downloaded
> the 7.6 1810 minimal ISO and started a fresh installation in VirtualBox.
>
> I'm using a Swiss French keyboard layout (ch-fr or fr_CH-latin1), so one
> of the first things I do in the installer is replace the default French
> AZERTY keyboard (since I use the french language) by a swiss french
> QWERTZ layout.
>
> Now when I reach this dialog in the installer and try do define my new
> layout, the slider in the selection window doesn't appear, and clicking
> on any of the first layouts doesn't do anything, so I'm basically stuck
> there.
>
> I'm running OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 KDE on my workstation, so I tried the
> same thing with the previous CentOS 7.5 1804 minimal ISO, and the
> keyboard selection dialog works perfectly.
>
> So my intuition would tell me that there's a nasty bug in the CentOS 7.6
> installer. Maybe it went unnoticed, since most folks stick to the
> default keyboard layout selected in their language.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

There are known issues with VirtualBox and RHEL (therefore CentOS) 7.6.

(1) https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90103
(2) https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90267

(1) is about the GuestAdditions, so this should not affect the
installation. But you were most likely hit by (2). All the details are
in that forum thread. In short, this is caused by a bug in the 7.6
kernel (see also https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=15570 ). It is
possible that the next update to the kernel has the fix but this
remains to be seen.

Akemi