[CentOS] systemd

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Jan 9 18:18:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:04:29PM -0500, Steve Clark wrote:
> Hmm...
> I don't see that in the postgresql.service file - this is CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
> postgresql-server-9.2.24-1.el7_5.x86_64
>
> from /usr/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service
> [Service]
> Type=forking
>
> User=postgres
> Group=postgres

You're right!  My mistake.

I was looking at the systemd service for Postgresql 10 (check out the
rh-postgresql10-postgresql-server package in SCL).  It seems that
they've managed to get sd_notify notification working in version 10, but
it's still using Type=forking in version 9.

By the way, this isn't really a systemd issue -- even with sysvinit
you'd be stuck trying to figure out when the service was *really* up
in a shell script or something.  At least now there's a mechanism to
tell the startup service that the service has actually started, so
proper ordering of services can be automatically performed, rather
than stringing together a collection of shell scripts.